New York and Long Island Guardianship Lawyers

Article 81 of the New York Mental Hygiene Law

If you have a loved one, friend or family member who cannot take care of himself or herself, guardianship is the appropriate legal remedy. There are two (2) types of guardianships in New York.

New York & Long Island Guardianship Lawyers
The guardian of the property is a appointed to handle financial transactions such as paying the mortgage bills, fuel/oil bills, electric bills, etc. of the individual the guardian is appointed to represent. The guardian of the person deals with making medical decisions.

Helping Those Who Can’t Help Themselves

Individuals require guardians when they can’t handle their own needs. They are vulnerable at this stage in their lives. Adults who have spent their entire lives dealing with their own problems and taking care of themselves sometimes find they are no longer capable of dealing with these issues. Individuals with mental illness also need guardians.

The purpose of the guardianship law in New York is to see to it that the ward (person in need of help) can live with as much independence as possible. The courts narrowly defines the responsibilities of the guardians so as to not overly intrude into the lives of their wards. Guardians are only given powers by the court to meet the unmet needs of their wards. Guardians must account to the court for all of their actions. They have to file reports that are carefully reviewed to see if they are acting in their ward’s best interest.

Petitioning the Court for Guardianship

The process whereby individuals petition the court for guardianship is both confusing and complicated. The assistance of an experienced guardianship attorney is crucial in these situations. The experience and skills of the guardianship lawyers at the Law Offices of Schlissel DeCorpo plays a key role in assisting our clients with guardianship proceedings.

Our attorneys are committed to the successful completion of guardianship proceedings on behalf of our clients. Should you seek to have a guardian appointed, we can help you. If you feel someone is abusing their authority under a power of attorney or taking advantage of a friend, family member or loved one, we can help you. Guardianship is the proper procedure to deal with these issues.

Feel free to call us at 1-800-344-6431, 516-561-6645 or 718-350-2802. We will meet with you and we will analyze your situation. We will discuss what action needs to be take and the fees for legal representation.